Sunday, April 11, 2010

Birdhouse Hunting: Thamesford and Kintore look promising for birds

I should say I go birdhouse spotting rather than hunting because I carry a camera, not a gun. (New title next time).

During an 80 km motorcycle trip today from London to Thamesford, Kintore, St. Marys and home again, I spotted 20 - 24 birdhouses, stopped four times, snapped 14 decent photos and ate the sweetest piece of coffee cake ever invented.

And besides heartburn, I brought home another idea that I’ll have to try out in the workshop, i.e., small - medium sized duplexed or triplexed birdhouses atop sturdy branch poles.


The one above, on a side street in Thamesford, is on a metal pole.

The next one, resting close to the ground (too close to attract birds, in my opinion), was also in Thamesford, on county road 119, 1/2 km. north of highway 2.


"My brother made it," said a woman sitting on the front porch of the house.

Ten minutes later, as I entered Kintore, I spotted the mother lode.

The two below are my favourites from a collection of at least 12 houses on a small property just south of the four-way stop at the centre of the hamlet.


["I have barnboard, so I should make a nice barn": photos GAH]


Birdhouse spotting in the past has already resulted in birdhouse building, and I bet I’ll start two or three examples on branch poles within the next week.


Happy hunting... or birdhouse spotting.

***

If you spot a few and have photos at a blog, let me know.

My motto - Have Lumber, Will Steal Ideas.

.

2 comments:

lifeshighway said...

Hi, you should join us on Thursdays at Cheep Rooms. We are trying to get people together who enjoy birdhouses. Meanwhile I will link and mention your entry today. Having fun searching.

http://cheeprooms.blogspot.com/

G. Harrison said...

Thank you for your visit from lifes highway and cheep rooms.

I'll revisit cheep rooms; perhaps I link up too for Thursday Birdhouses. Up my alley, so to speak!

Cheers,

GH