Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Who will win? Part 1 ‘Taxes must rise’ or ‘Tax cuts possible?’

In the April 19 issue of the London Free Press, Paul Berton (Editor) wrote a piece under this headline:

Read my lips: Taxes must rise

As I read the full article I came to believe that he must have read my weekly columns during the last month or visited my blog.

I wrote about how politicians remain silent about taxes and debt out of self-interest. They’d like to keep their job.

Mr. Berton wrote that no politician can even whisper the word tax without risking immediate defeat.

I wrote that I support a 1 per cent increase in personal and corporate taxes for 5 years to reduce national debt.


Mr. Berton mentioned taxes must rise or services must be cut.

Okay, maybe he didn’t read my stuff at all, or didn’t catch what I was really saying.

But, at any rate, it sounded for a minute there that he really did.
Wait.

In a recent column entitled ‘Do Canadians have a dramatic aversion to thrift and taxes?’ I said, and I quote because I have the power to do so, ‘the government can try to be thrifty today, i.e., by handing out pink slips, cutting some government services, but will likely make no more than a small dent in projected budget deficits over the next few years.’

And I just read the following from Mr. Berton’s editorial:

Sure, we can cut the number of public employees and streamline services, and we will, but that won’t put a big enough dent in growing provincial and federal deficits.

It’s almost (looking through smoke and mirrors) word for word what I said.

So maybe he did read my stuff.

Good for him. Let him take some of the heat too for saying the word taxes right out loud.

And ‘the heat’ did arrive just a few days after the editorial appeared.

More about that later.

.

No comments: