Monday, May 24, 2010

A Day Off Pt 1: At Orwell, on my way to Long Point

I don’t know what time the sun came out yesterday, but I noticed it three seconds after sending off my column to the editor (an hour before the deadline - awesome), and five seconds after that I took the tarp off my bike.


["You can't miss the Rawcliffes' mailbox on Springwater Rd": photos GH]

Once I’d slipped on my riding jeans and leather jacket, etc., I was on my way.


["Mrs. Rawcliffe said this one was her favourite"]

South of Belmont I turned left on Ron McNeil Line, headed east and turned south toward Lake Erie on Springwater Rd.


["Their 13-yr. old grandson made this one. Wine corks. Creative family!"]

I spotted a funky birdhouse at ‘The Rawcliffes’ extensive property before reaching Orwell on Highway 3 and 60 seconds after getting off the bike I made their acquaintance.


["I was offered a tour - no wine - and spotted this purple martin house"]

I stopped because of one birdhouse; I stayed for 30 minutes because of dozens more.



***

Do you stop and chat with strangers?

.

No comments: