Monday, May 24, 2010

A Day Off Pt 4: The water’s fine at Long Point, Lake Erie

I was on a sight-seeing tour yesterday and landed, eventually, in Long Point, on the north shore of Lake Erie.

I may go somewhere on the bike today too because my body needs to get used to ‘putting on miles’ before I leave for Halifax in June.

After parking the bike beside Bushell’s store I walked to the beach to make sure the water was still there. I discovered there was lots of water and plenty of room for me if I chose to go jump in the lake.


I spotted another purple martin house, maybe two, as I walked back to the store.


(Please click here to see the first and likely oldest purple martin I spotted in Long Point.)

Bushell’s store has only changed in name in the forty-five years since I was a teen. The Bushells, former owners, lived in my hometown and when I popped in for a bottle of pop they always asked about my family.


The uneven plywood floors and scabby roof are still the same and someday, when nobody’s looking, I may try to swipe something off that store as a memento to lovely times gone by.


Yes, one of those clay insulators would do the trick!


Now, that would make my next ride to Long Point a real treat.

***

Just kidding. I’d ask for the insulators.

They aren’t connected to anything and I saw a ladder in the back of the store while casing out the joint.

.

No comments: