Saturday, May 8, 2010

From the Workshop: I’ll try to curb my enthusiasm

I really like the smell of my soft-needled pine tree on the front lawn (see below for ‘The Tree’ sing-a-long), almost as much as the smell of cedar in my workshop.

I admit, it may be the cedar talking right now, but I also really like the looks of my first-ever purple martin birdhouse. The work was progressing so well last night that I stayed in the shop until 11:30. I missed my Gunsmoke rerun and everything.


["It looks huge!": photos GAH]

Compared to the rest of my collection, the size is huge! Eight apartments - that's twice as many as in my second biggest model, i.e., The Muskoka-style four-plex.

I like it. The straight lines, the two rows of holes, the tiered apartments (did I mention the smell of cedar?) - everything appeals to me. (I may have found my niche).


["Today I put a roof over the penthouses"]

I have to add the roof slats (already cut and sanded) and ventilation holes (I can hardly wait), then I’ll paint it (I can hardly wait). And then attach the finished model to a tall post (already sanded and painted) and erect it in my yard.

I can hardly wait!!

***

How will I vent the roof? Wait and see!

Should I try a third storey next (w 11 apartments)??

.

No comments: