Saturday, May 8, 2010

I’ll write this, then stir the pot of linseed oil

My wife left me alone in the house this afternoon, so I bailed on a writing task and snuck out to the workshop.

I couldn’t curb my enthusiasm - I wanted to finish my first purple martin house.

I attached 10 cedar slats to the roof. I used screws on two slats so they can be easily removed during spring clean out.


["The cedar slats were rescued from an old picket fence": photos GAH]

Then I ventilated the roof and back walls. The back walls can also be easily removed.




Next, I added cedar perch rails in front of each unit.


As a final touch, I added two-seaters to both penthouse units. I'll be able to charge high rents for years.


Enough said. Time to splash on the linseed oil.

***

If my column misses the deadline, you’ll know why.

.

No comments: