Wednesday, May 26, 2010

New shades: But were they worth 20 bucks?

Times are busy all over. I barely had time to sneak out of the house this morning for coffee at The Red Roaster.

But I’m getting lots of stuff done related to my upcoming Halifax trip.

The itinerary is set, hostels are booked (Day 1, June 8: Sqweek House in Kingston), money is saved, Dad’s boat is well underway (half done, I’d say), one pair of jeans is nicely pressed.

However, a few big hurdles remain.


["How much did you pay?" I was asked: photo GH]

I need a luggage rack for my bike or else I'll have to pack even smaller than small. I have two leads and if they don’t pan out then I’ll have to build one myself. I have some bird’s eye maple that will do the trick. (Custom luggage rack. How cool is that?)

I need to finish four purple martin houses by Friday, June 4, and I’d like to build a batch of 6 ‘old school house’ bird boxes by the same date - for Gathering on the Green, June 5.

And I’d like to get in a few more practice rides to toughen up my behind and see how my new shades handle the morning sun.

Yes, I bought new red shades for the trip - aviator style - because they look funky and suit my cheerful mood (even though I’ve never been busier).

But... and this is a big but... are they worth the 20 bucks?

My mind says yes.


["That's 10 bucks worth right there"]

My wallet says no.

Hey, if they make me smile all the way to Halifax they are definitely worth it.

***

Yup, 20 bucks.

I know, it seems like a lot to me too.

.

No comments: