Monday, May 10, 2010

A Promise to Fulfill Pt 1: And the clock is ticking

In one month I leave for Halifax by motorcycle.

My to-do list is a long one but if all goes according to plan I should be ready to set sail by about Wednesday, June 9th.

I don’t mind the long list related to prep work for such a trip (at 4,300 km. - both ways - the farthest I’ve travelled by bike), because most of the items are easy.

E.g., book the hostels for each night, pack a bag, change the oil, build a small boat from cedar, then paint it, etc.


["The SS Silver Walnut will be a sturdy vessel": photo GAH]

Plus, I’m eager to fulfill a promise I made to my father.

In the 1980s, when he was about the same age I am now, my father, a former member of the Canadian Navy (Merchant Marine) began to talk about being buried at sea.

His idea upset my mother’s apple cart, because she had imagined they would be, should be, buried together in their hometown of Norwich.

In spite of mother’s concerns, however, Dad held onto his idea, like an old dog to his last bone.

***

A Promise to Fulfill - please click here to read Part 2.

.

No comments: