Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pt 1 Can we develop a deeper appreciation for Nature?

Of course we can.

And after watching and reading reports about ongoing environmental and economic damage in the Gulf of Mexico (oh, it’s more than a double whammy) I say we should work on a better relationship with Mother Earth almost above all else.


Many would agree that if we practice a certain skill over and over we’ll get better at it.

(So, why is my slap shot, after 50 years of hockey, still such a dud? Maybe just a little more practice is needed, that’s all!)

To draw closer to nature, while at the same time taking a step back from a fossil-fueled life that seems to stomp on Mother Earth’s toes at regular intervals, perhaps we could do more natural activities until they become healthy habits.

For example:

Many already know there is much to gain by growing some of our own vegetables. Many do so even though they live in apartments or condos.

I learned yesterday, while my grandson Ollie played at Thames Park beside a community garden, that a person (the fellow I talked to was a condo dweller) can rent a 20’ x 20’ garden plot annually by making one phone call.


["Let's try 'fresh' for change"]

Even growing vegetables indoors or on a front or back porch or lawn is a valuable exercise.

A fellow I play hockey with (who happens to have a better slap shot than me, but I’m not bitter) grows potatoes inside plastic pails.

“It’s so easy,” he says. “When they’re ready you just dump the pails over and pick out the spuds.”

My dad grew potatoes by the row and I swear I’ve never tasted better, but the pail idea sounds like something for my back deck this year.


["I've got my tomatoes, now I'll try potatoes"]

So, can growing some of our own vegetables become a healthy, or healthier habit this year by starting, expanding or including another person in the activity?

I say, give it a try.

***

I’m off to look for large pails or containers. I think I know someone who tosses out several white plastic pails every week.

And I can buy seed potatoes at Springbank Gardens for 69 cents per pound. I’ll document my success (or like my slap shot) my lack of it!

.

No comments: