Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pt 3 Can we develop a deeper appreciation for Nature?

As I said earlier - of course we can. And we should... soon.

I mean, don’t try to tell me our local climate instability isn’t related to global warming.

But our strange weather might be caused by sunspots?? Ha.

(I thought I said not to tell me).

How can a person grow fonder of Nature? One could plant a garden or make more effort to eat local.

As well, we should try to cut out back on our use of processed foods.


["Real food"]

For example: When making Kraft Dinner, few people get any real sense of where real food comes from. (Answer: Not from the Kraft food company!)

I mean, what do you say when a child asks, “Is real cheese bright orange, Mommy? Does it always come in a foil pouch?”


["Not real food"]

But when we make our own noodles (using an egg from our own chicken) or cook noodles made from real wheat from Durham (just south of Owen Sound, Ontario) and add our own chopped up veggies to a simmering pot of tomato sauce (made with real plum tomatoes from that farm right beside Hawk Cliff, south of London and St. Thomas), then we’ll more often think about how important the earth is to all of us.

Just because many high school and UWO students think KD is real food, don’t let that fool you.

A plum tomato from Dexter Line is real food.

***

Don't tell me Durham wheat doesn't come from Durham, Ontario!

Want directions to Hawk Cliff? Let me know. Great for bird-watching.


.

No comments: