Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The trip to Halifax is playing with my mind

In less than two weeks I leave for Halifax to fulfill a promise to my father.

Everything I say, do and hear is now getting filtered through the ‘trip’ part of my brain - which appears to be most of it.

An hour ago a fellow at The Roaster said, “You paid $20 for plastic shades?”


["Ten dollars worth of my new shades": photos GH]

“Yes, but they’re red,” I said, “and they fit with my energetic mood right now.”

When I got home from the coffee shop I noticed city workers cutting limbs from a tree on my neighbour’s yard.


I thought, I’ll get my camera, that’s a cool job. (But, is it the perfect job?)

When I stepped back onto the porch I saw three limbs fall to the ground, and an image appeared from the ‘trip’ side of my brain.

What if a limb bounces off my concrete driveway and hits my bike? My trip would be ruined.


["Everything gets filtered through my 'travel plans' now"]

What if one hits my head? Again, my trip would be ruined because my helmet wouldn’t fit over the bandages.

So, I’m going to strap on my helmet right now (sans bandages) and move my bike onto the street - about ten miles away.

I’ll be back in two hours.

***

Two hours - that’s if there is bus service out of Hyde Park.

.

No comments: