Monday, June 7, 2010

Halifax Bound: One more sleep

The wee boat (that I’ll aim toward Scotland once I reach Halifax) is packed safely inside a large leather luggage.

All luggage bags are strapped down with several cords onto the motorcycle. (I tip my hat to the person who invented the bungee cord).

The motorcycle now has the right tire pressure and new oil and filter.

And I’ve packed - somewhere - enough instant oatmeal, beans, coffee, tea and cookies to sink a large vessel.


["Packed to the gills. Note the Merchant Marine emblem on the shed door": photo GAH]

Am I excited?

In a way. My boys and their lovely wives are here for a visit and my twin grand-daughters are asleep a few steps from where I’m typing. So, today I’ve been, and am now, too busy or occupied to think much about the trip or get too excited.

I think after I finish lunch in Newmarket or Whitby tomorrow and set sail for Kingston I’ll start to feel like I’m on a long journey of some significance.

Of course, my butt cheeks could be complaining by the time I pass Arva, so those feelings, and others about the trip, will likely present themselves earlier in the day.

I say now to readers, I’ll try to drop the occasional line and have as much fun as possible.

Also, be warned. I’m carrying two digital cameras and 4 empty cards, so you’ll likely be subjected to (is that too harsh a word?) 4 million digital photos from ‘along the way and back’ in the near future.

Thanks for tuning in and sharing a few words of support.

Much appreciated.

Cheers.

.

2 comments:

Katherine Krige said...

Have a great trip Gord. I had to laugh at your butt cheeks comment. I have been on some MUCH shorter bike trips and walked funny for a few days. I suppose once ya get good 'n numb, you will forget you ever had something like an a**. Hahaha. I am going to have to track down the wifey for a java, so she won't get lonely (yeah right!) Have a blast. VrrroooooOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

G. Harrison said...

Thanks K.

I'll 'numb up' as I near Stratford and be fine the rest of the way.

If you see Pat, keep her company! I appreciate that idea. Though Ollie will keep her occupied, for sure.

See you soon!

G