Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Halifax Bound: Seven more sleeps

I’m excited about my upcoming motorcycle trip to the East Coast of Canada (2,200 km, one way) but between now and June 8 I’m sure I’ll sleep like a rock each night.

I’ll be busy every day this week and on the weekend, but details re The Trip are falling into place nicely.


["I visited many rocky shores on the Bruce Peninsula, 2005": photos GH]

It helps that I’ve done this before, with more work involved too (i.e., in the not too distant past, I biked and camped along the north shore of Lake Superior in 2007), so this upcoming trip feels easier already.


["On my way to Algonquin Park, 2006"]

As well, I’m in tune with the goals of the trip and have included extra rest days at the halfway point and on the way home.

This afternoon I attach a luggage rack to the bike; later I apply a second coat of varnish to a wee boat; after that I buy a few groceries for breakfasts and noon time meals. All easy stuff.


["On my way to Thunder Bay, 2007"]

I mean, how hard is it to attach a luggage rack? Four bolts. And varnish a boat? 10 minutes. And buy Muffets, juice paks and canned beans? Stand aside - I’ve got it.

Now, don’t tell my wife. I’ve also had time to scout out craft brewers in most of the cities in which I’m stopping. A sample here, a sample there - all before reading bedtime stories written by my dad.

And by booking hostels instead of campsites, I’ve cut 2 - 3 hours of set up and decamping time from my workload each day, compared to my 2007 trip.

Yup, I’ll be sleeping like a rock.

.

No comments: