Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Halifax: On the way there and..... back!! Conclusion

I drove south and down Labatt’s Hill to Richmond St. and Fanshawe Park Rd. last evening at about 6:30.

The sky was a bit gray but London never looked or felt so welcoming.

The Virago chugga-chugged steadily, as if ready for even more than the 4,600 km it had logged - with my sturdy but tired butt in the seat all the way - in the last 14 days.

I am home a day early. Weather forecasts predicted rain for the next few days, so I left my son’s house, his wife, twin daughters, riverside backyard and full beer fridge in Fenelon Falls at 1 p.m. under sunny skies.

Now safely home I can honestly say the trip was a complete success. More fulfilling than words can describe. Though somehow, over the next few days and weeks (months?) I’ll give words and accompanying photos a good try.

Today’s agenda is very short.

Red Roaster dark roast in the morning. Check.

Lunch with Pat and Ollie. Check.

An easy afternoon. So far so good.

Take a nap. It could happen.

Download photos and videos. Yawn. Maybe.

There will be few photos related to my yesterday’s ride home. I just wanted to get to my driveway in one piece.

Last evening, thirty seconds after turning off the bike out front of our house (about 6:45; Pat was watching Coronation St.) I called her on the cell.

“Having a good day?” she asked.

I told her of my morning’s activities, that our grand-daughters were amazing (they are!), weather was super.

She saw the cell number on call display and figured I was just outside.

Fifteen seconds later she popped her head out the door.

Big smile.

Home at last.

***

She even helped me unload the bike.

I have it far too good.

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're home safe and sound from your journey. :-)

Jeff B-D

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jeff,

I would love to repeat the whole adventure. Each day good things happened. Thanks for your comments, offers of encouragement and support. You seem to be a real Eastener!!

GH