Monday, June 28, 2010

In the Workshop: Gord is getting his groove back

Hibernation is a wonderful thing, let me tell you.

Last Saturday I wrote, though ‘I have no idea what to do... I just feel like making something.’

Nothing big, just something that would satisfy my desire to putter, saw and hammer.


["In no time, bits of scrap lumber were turned into organized heaps.": photos GH]

And knowing any small project wouldn’t likely win any type of wood working award, I also said ‘don’t wait up.’


["A decorated gourd from Sudan became a wren house."]

After sawing and sanding on Saturday I had one of the best sleeps ever. I woke up Sunday morning about five minutes after Germany kicked-off against England in a World Cup soccer match.


["The bench inside the workshop door began to fill"]

(I’ve opened a door, haven’t I? Someone might know that it was England that kicked off against Germany. Sorry. I was sleeping at the time, perhaps making up for one of the poor sleeps I had on the way out to Halifax two weeks ago. I think I woke up at 5:30 a.m. to the sound of robins singing from a sagging phone line on Rue du Radisson in Trois Rivieres, and never got back to sleep.)


["I liked this duplex, but something was missing."]

After the match (which advertised the need for video review more than any other game so far), I hammered a bit, and assembled and photographed my latest birdhouse creations made from rescued lumber.


["The bench is getting full. It's time to build more shelves?"]

Brilliant? I don’t know. I was hibernating at the time, with eyes half closed.

***

After C Street tonight, I may get back on the exercise bike after a three-week hiatus.

My hockey team needs me and my recent visits to craft breweries in Quebec and Nova Scotia have left their mark.

.

No comments: