Friday, July 9, 2010

Could I improve on a bird's own birdhouse?

Quick answer: No.

I found the following photos on my second camera. I took them last Sunday on the way to Port Burwell, Ontario.


The homes are made from mud by swallows and these natural creations are found under a short bridge on Hunter-Crossley Rd. (or Crossley-Hunter) a few miles SE of Belmont.

They are now vacant.


I visited earlier in the year and saw mud homes in a half-completed state, with some mud still drying.


In the past I snapped and posted pictures of parents feeding their young while hovering outside the opening of the nests. So, I assume, the fledgings and adults have flown the coop and moved on for this year.


I'll return later in the summer to see if the nests are used for a second round of eggs.

***

I could be wrong, but it seems old nests are torn down each year and new ones built.

Does this sound right, in your experience?

.

No comments: