Saturday, July 17, 2010

Dear Mr. Tim Hortons Pt 2: What the heck?

As sure as I am that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning and pots of Tim Hortons coffee in St. John’s, Newfoundland will be among the first in Canada to reach an even boil, I’m sure many readers will think I’ll get absolutely no where in search of the truth about my favourite do-nut - the all-fine-all-the-time Canadian Maple.

But, one or two will surely enjoy the fact that I’m at least stirring the ol’ coffee pot.

(Oh yeh. See Pt 1 for details)

After all, it’s summer time, it’s hot and somebody has to do it.

Here’s what I want to find out:




["In Morrisburg, Ont. my fav do-nut is proudly called Canadian Maple": photos GH]

Why isn’t the Canadian Maple do-nut (Mmmm. Warm. Succulent. Filled with creamy goodness. Covered with real Canadian Maple icing. Zero calories. You know what I’m talking about.) called Canadian Maple in the province of Quebec?

Why is it called Erable du Boston in Quebec and sitting beside a lonely tray of Creme du Boston do-nuts?

Do Tim Horton stores in Quebec get their maple syrup from Boston?

Isn’t Quebec a huge producer of maple syrup?

Isn’t Quebec a part of Canada?

Has Quebec separated from Canada?

Is it now a part of Boston, i.e., like a northern suburb?

Here’s how I’m going to find out, or, at least try to find out.

I’m going to contact Tim Hortons head office as well as the contact address in Quebec.

Then I’m going to wait for the truth.

Because I need the truth.

We all need the truth.

***

Yes, I am having fun, but the pursuit of truth can be fun at times, can’t it?

Hey, you write to them too. We’ll compare notes.

PS

My emails are in the mail. So, I’ve got a head start.

.

4 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

I hate to be the one to break this news, Gord, but you are scratching the surface of a big controversy, when you begin to discuss English vs. French in Quebec or Canada, for that matter. At the risk of stirring up the pot, let me give an example.

Take a close look at that "Tim Hortons" sign you have pictured. Is it English or French? The proper English spelling is Tim Horton's, with an apostrophe. The French language does not use an apostrophe to mean possession. That apostrophe did not disappear all by itself. It is a typically Canadian, hard fought compromise between French and English, hoping that English speaking people would notice the disappearance, while hoping that French Canadians will forgive that it is the name of an ex-Maple Leaf's player. Or is that Maple Leaves.

Tim Horton's Apostrophe in Wikipedia

G. Harrison said...

Hi LM,

The sign is in Morrisburg, Ont., and I didn't miss the apostrophe until I posted the photo.

I appreciate the info you provide. So far, I've heard nothing from Mr. Tim's corporate office.

GH

Lost Motorcyclist said...

OOPS! I meant NOT notice.

And from part one, "Colombie Canadienne" is not universal. It was more popular back when I was a kid growing up in Quebec. I personally would use "Colombie Britannique" if I was speaking French. So would many French speaking Quebecers.

But if I was ever to order Canadian Maple in French, I think I would say "erable de Boston" if that's what is on the sign. Lots of products are renamed in different markets. Ever built a "Muskoka" chair?

G. Harrison said...

Good point re the Muskoka chair.

However, I think Quebec is thumbing their nose at the rest of us.

I'm considering a boycott! Or a switch to Boston Cream.

GH