Thursday, August 19, 2010

Be It Resolved: I’ll walk a marathon per month

Are these phrases familiar?

A gaggle of geese.

A school of fish.

A pride of lions.

A batch of BBQs.

That last one is my latest invented phrase. Good one, eh?

A batch of BBQs isn’t something I saw recently - it’s something I endured. And it ain’t over yet.

My weight is going up (I’m now 5 pounds over my legal limit) and I must do something about it after I return from Bracebridge and one more BBQ supper already scheduled at my sister’s house.

What to do?

I’ll still cycle 100 miles per week and play Wednesday hockey but I’m toying with the idea of walking a marathon per month on a regular basis.


["Photo from a short morning walk; I must go longer": photo GH]

I like walking. I like walking with a camera. I like walking speed (it’s a great speed for thinking and observing interesting architectural features on neighbourhood houses, i.e., spying on folks).

But I usually just walk short distances in the ‘hood, e.g., to the corner of Coffee and Hardware for my regular fix of java and bag o’ nails.

I need to bump it up, to 26.2 miles per month, to lose 5 pounds.

I’ll be back in 30 minutes.

***

Is a marathon a month too much?

I’ll figure out how long it takes me to walk a mile, then do the math.

We’ll see. I may have to settle for a half-marathon per month.

.

No comments: