Monday, August 30, 2010

Birdhouse Spotting Pt 1: Highway 3, 1 mile east of Courtland

While biking north out of Port Burwell yesterday with a satisfied grin on my face (the Spiderman ice cream from Simply Scoops had been pretty darn tasty!) I formulated a plan.


["The birdhouse shop is easy to find. Look for the red tin roof"]

I.e., turn east at Straffordville, follow Elgin Rd. 38 to Courtland, try to find the birdhouse builder on the north side of The King’s Highway 3. Then get home for supper.


["A sturdy, unpainted purple martin house": photos by GH]

I did all of the above and more.


The birdhouse builder and I had quite the chat and I know I will return for another one - lengthier - in the near future.


I’ll take more money next time. I saw one house I want to buy for sentimental reasons.


["I spent many hours working in tobacco kilns, as above."]

Yes, I could make it myself but I don’t like to paint my houses. I’m more of a linseed oil kind of guy.

Plus, the builder reminded me of my dad and I want to support his work.

I could have taken more pictures but I got busy talking.

***

Have you passed through Courtland on your way to Tillsonburg, Delhi, Simcoe or Port Dover?

Ever stopped at the corner birdhouse warehouse?

If you go, stop at Nick Nickerson’s house in Salford (H. 19) on your way.

.

No comments: