Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Raleigh Sprite: Will it last another 30 years?

My younger son called last night.

“Can you come over after supper and see if the bike fits you?” he said.

“I’ll be right over,” I said.

And I was, within 5 minutes, and I was excited, and it takes an excellent bicycle to get me excited.


["The Raleigh Sprite 10-speed - an excellent bicycle": photos GH]

He had offered the bicycle to me a few weeks ago, I’d given it the once over a day or two later when he was at work but couldn’t get it out of his basement alone (steep, narrow stairway, plus 30 chairs were in the way; he collects chairs like I collect birdhouses, poor beggar) but I knew it was a great bike and wanted it.


["How could you not love that padded seat?"]

Though the tires weren’t inflated properly and it felt like it needed a bit of oil here and there and the brakes required tightening, after a quick ride around his back yard I said, “It’s perfect.”

And I don’t say that about many things because I’m kinda fussy. (My wife, however, has another word for it).


["Mr. Raleigh, you make good bicycles"]

Today, I’ll inflate the tires to the recommended level (I have three tire pressure gauges, which is totally appropriate in my opinion), oil where needed, adjust the brakes, seat and handle bars, get out the hose and scrub it up a bit and go for a perfectly lovely cruise.

Totally appropriate.

It should last 30 years.

What do you think?

.

2 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

My current bike is a Raleigh, 28 years old. I have ridden it pretty hard commuting to work (when I used to work). In all that time I have replaced a fender, the crankset, both wheels (including the wheelbearings), the rear derailler, the gear shift lever, all cables, the seat, the seat post, the handlebar stem, the brake calipers, the hand grip rubbers and the pedals. At this rate it will last forever.

G. Harrison said...

And it must feel like a new bike what w all the updates over the years. I have one or two repairs to make right away, but minor and within my ability. I think for the price I got a steal.

Cheers,

GH

.