Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Motorcycle Miles Pt 2: View from Hawk Cliff and more

Warmed by coffee and ginger cookies from Spicer’s Bakery, Port Stanley, I was soon on Dexter’s Line and heading east toward Hawk Cliff Rd.


[“Some bikers ‘don’t do gravel.’ Their loss.”: photos GH]

The road is about 1 - 2 miles east of Pt. Stanley and a large grayish blue house stands at the entrance to Hawk Cliff to the south.


[“I’ll go back this way in 30 minutes”]

Hawk Cliff gets its name from the fact that, year after year, many kinds of birds, including thousands of raptors, soar upon wind currents above the north shore of Lake Erie - and past this world-renowned bird watching site - on their ways to winter nesting and resting sites.


[“My favourite perch when watching for hawks and eagles”]

While there I saw not one hawk, only gulls. I think the breeze was heading in the wrong direction. I’ll return another time.

When I do, I’ll stand watch at the same spot from which I saw a bald-headed eagle soar past me - 15 meters away, at eye level - a few years ago.


[“Behind my perch, a twisted maze of sumac”]

The eagle’s passing left me speechless, hard to believe, I know.

Hawk Cliff is about 40 km. south of London, and well worth the trip for its natural beauty alone.


[“One last look at Lake Erie before I go”]

After my 30 minute stop I returned to my bike, camera safely tucked in my back pocket. But I got it out one more time before warming up my bike.

***

Please click here for Motorcycle Miles Pt 1.

.

No comments: