Sunday, October 17, 2010

Zoom w a View: I’d like to report a theft

Oops. Not really. Because it was really so minor.

And 'cause it was me who did the taking.


["Cement supports for a long-forgotten bridge": photos GH]

I few years ago I discovered a lovely spot to take a tea break or pit stop during a motorcycle ride.

The spot is east of Bryanston (NE of Deforest City) and at the bottom of the valley just east of Valley View Rd.

You’ll see a gravel lane to your right as you cross the river. Take it.


If it’s a windy day, as it was on Friday, you’ll hear the bridge play a song as if with a giant flute, entitled “The Wind Tickles My Giant Ribs.”


While standing on one old section of the skeleton left behind when the former bridge was removed I noticed a small hole in the cement beside my foot.




The hole marks the spot where a water survey marker once sat... that is, until I removed it with hammer and chisel, about three years ago.

It’s a lovely lead marker, from a lovely spot.

Go visit.

***

If you work for the Government of Ontario, relax.

The water is still there.

Please click here for more Zoom w a View.

.

No comments: