Saturday, November 27, 2010

Green Ideas 2010: Time for a little review

In early 2010 I listed 8 Green Ideas in the right hand margin and said I’d give them a try.

Had I not bought a new straw hat I would have accomplished Goal 1 perfectly.

Dad gummit.

Here’s what I listed next:

2. Victory Garden

2009 was a bad year for my Victory Garden, however...

I will plant a garden in Spring 2010 and call it a 'Worthy Attempt Plot'


All I can say is, I made a somewhat of a worthy attempt - I planted plenty of tomatoes, beans and gourds - but I neglected the garden too often (for two solid weeks in June) and planted the gourds too late, i.e., after I returned from Halifax.

As well, my patch received lots of sunlight in the past but our spruce trees have grown, provide more shade now, so the patch needs to be moved to the sunny side of the yard in order to succeed.

Because my project list is pretty long at the moment I don’t see a garden in the books for next year.

All in all, I’d say I didn’t make a worthy attempt with Green Idea 2.

I did better with number 3.

I.e., the bicycle

I said, “I will ride my used but lovely Miele bicycle on crowded city streets until I bend or break a rim.”

I rode my Miele bike on occasion (I walked here and there more often because it’s more of a racing bike, great for triathlons) but sold it in the summer. I now own a used Raleigh five-speed, perfect for Wortley Village and beyond.

On that positive note, I’ll end for today.

***

Yeah, I flopped on the next Green Idea. That’s why I stopped where I did.

Click here to see the stand-off at the OK Corral.

.

No comments: