Monday, November 15, 2010

Memory Lane: Why did I give up on bicycling?

Shortly after leaving the Red Roaster this morning and seeing a 75-year old man on a classic bicycle, complete with a black metal paper-carrier basket, I recalled the day I mentally gave up on bicycling.

I was on my 1959 red CCM bike at the time and riding down Rick Lees’ driveway (in Norwich, mid 1960s) for a visit.


["Rick zoomed by on a later model than this one": photos GH]

Ten seconds after I arrived, however, Rick left - very loudly and quickly, as if on a thundering rocket - on a classic BSA motorcycle, circa 1955 model.

My red bike lost its shine as quickly as my friend Rick powered down the road.

I didn’t lose my love on bikes on that day. The love transferred to motorcycles.


["Gotta love that seat!"]

Though I have a great classic bicycle now, with a very comfortable seat, I’d be as happy as peaches if a red CCM bike appeared at a yard sale.

Welcome back, I’d say.

And I’m sorry I dumped you.

***

Photos taken during my last bike ride of 2010 here.

.

No comments: