Monday, November 22, 2010

Zoom w a View: Two belt buckles; which will win?

I have two belts that I wear - one at a time; two at a time would be superfluous - with one purpose in mind.

I.e., to keep my pants up.

Pants around the knees can cause embarrassing scenarios.


["The belt from Quigley's may last forever!": photo GH]

For example:

“Young man,” someone might say. “Can you get to your car without assistance?”

“I’m fine,” I might reply.

“But your pants are falling down.”

“Don’t give it a thought.”

Pants around the ankles can cause accidents.

So, I have two belts. If one breaks, the other can step in to do the job.

Today, it happened. One belt broke.

The circumstances aren’t important. (Something about a big lunch and a big hurry. I’ll tell you later - maybe. Sorry, I digress).

Now I’m down to one belt.

The ‘Country Music’ belt, the younger of the two, is history, and the $5.00 one from Quigley’s Leather Works (a London store, north of Oxford St., beside the Thames R., circa 1969) lives on.

Who would have guessed?

***

Do you still wear apparel or accessories that are 40 years old or older?

E.g., yellow and black checked polyester pants?

Visit more Zoom w a View here.

.

4 comments:

Mystic Thistle said...

G. Harrison- Great belts, great story! And good job on having a spare! I wear two that were my husband's when he was a 12 year old. And, I'm proud to say I just patched and dyed a pair of my dad's old pants that I took for myself years ago. I think they are older than me. Did they make pants stronger back then than they do now? Also mens'clothing is typically made to last longer than womens'clothing I've found.

G. Harrison said...

Thanks, Mrs. B. You have some great 'useful' keepsakes, i.e., the belts and dyed pants.

I'm not sure about stronger pants years ago. Jeans faded and wore out much as they do today, but belts are another matter. I think belts are more cheaply made. I'll have to search high and low for another good leather belt, especially w a stamped design.

But the fun is in the search.

Cheers,

GH

Lanniedee said...

Hey, el cheapo, I can give you some rope out of our new barns for a belt..once met a doctor in St. Marys who did that..or how about an old tie of dad's? If you used a bungy cord, you could expand all you want, ha, ha..love sister (the older one)

G. Harrison said...

hi LD, forget about the rope. too itchy. i'll check out at Value Village. i'll see if I can find a belt for $5 or less. the fun is in the looking.