Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It’s winter, it’s cold, it’s definitely time for...

...A heaping bowl of oatmeal. Real oatmeal.

None of that instant stuff for me.

(When I say ‘stuff’ I’m being mega-polite).


["I made enough for 10 - 14 days. Hmmmm...": photo GH]

Because I add a few items to a big batch besides 3 cups of real oats, I’ve been accused of making something that’s not real oatmeal. I disagree.

You decide.

3 cups of rolled oats

1 cup of Red River Cereal

1/2 cup of bran

a handful of diced raisins

plenty of diced or ground pecans

diced cranberries and currants if you’ve got them

1 or 2 diced apples (add while the cooked oatmeal cools)

Why, it tastes so good I don’t even add sugar. Though I am a sucker for real Canadian maple syrup.

I ask you: Would you call this real oatmeal?

***

Another I Ask You a deep question right here.

.

2 comments:

lanniedee said...

Pretend you are reading this statement in a strong Scottish accent: "It's NOT Oatmeal!" like that advertisement years ago on tv. Our mother, bless her heart used to feed us Cream of Wheat, Red River Cereal and Oatmeal each morning all winter long..no mixy, matchy, just all separate..you remember..so yours sounds like cranola oatmeal..by the way mom should have served it in the order I mentioned so that the oatmeal on the third morning helped removed the seeds between our teeth from the Red River Cereal..agreed? love older sister..p.s. my latest blog is a poem re: Nana

G. Harrison said...

okay, but it's mostly oatmeal, a Harrison hybrid oat breakfast, and very tasty w the apples in it. Cranola oatmeal, not a bad name, Lannie.

got your phone message from Jeem after we arrived home from supper last night, wanted to call back but I had two jobs waiting (birdhouse related, need to be ready by Saturday).

see you later at your blog.

G