Saturday, December 11, 2010

Letter to the Editor: “Don’t forget about us, eh”

Angela Skinner wrote a lovely letter to the London Free Press recently that I would file under the heading - We pay taxes too, ya know.

Some might feel no sympathy for the writer, but I do.

After 3 days of snow A. Skinner’s neighbourhood, Warbler Woods in Byron, was buried but there wasn’t a snow plow to be seen. She vented, a very natural and healthy response at times, as follows.

“This is getting ridiculous, but not as crazy as our property taxes... taxes here for the average home are $6,700 a year.”

Some home owners who pay less, also waiting for the plow to arrive on their street, might say, “Stop your whining. I’m waiting too. Don’t try to climb to the top of the list just because you live in a big house. You’re such a maroon.”

But not me. I feel her pain.

Okay, she likely didn’t score any points with some readers when she said “my neighbours and I pay close to (if not more than) $670,000 a year. This means our subdivision alone has paid close to three-quarters of the million dollars that it will cost the city to plow after the storm. That’s fine, but could someone please send out a snowplow, at least to thank us?”

Some might say her words smack of entitlement. You know, like “we pay so much money, get out here, pat us on the head at least.”


["I still feel Angela's pain!": photo GH]

But that doesn’t bother me. Again. I feel her pain. Snow is a bother, groceries run low, there are millions of errands to do. I get it.

In the spirit of ‘we’re all in this together whether you live in Warbler Woods or Wortley Village,’ here’s what I suggest the Corporation of the City of London do in the future to resolve such complaints, wherever they may come from in this totally fair and snowy city of ours.

First, publish the snow plow philosophy every October 1st so that everybody is on the same page as soon as the first flake hits the turf.

It would make for great reading. (Like the time the city published all the roads that needed repair. One whole page in a very small font size. I loved it.)

E.g., Major roads first, such as blah blah blah. Followed by secondary roads such as blah blah. Finally, little out of the way places like blah, and - dead last - that little crescent over in White Hills nobody even knows exists.

Second, when it comes to secondary roads and sections of the city (East London, North London, etc.), or subdivisions, rotate the mix annually - so everybody feels important every fourth or fifth year, in a fair and highly judicious manner - because we all pays them taxes and we all want that pat on the head.

Even me, every fifth year.

***

And coupons for free cookies would be nice!

Please click here for another Letter to the Editor.

.

No comments: