Monday, December 6, 2010

London’s Weather: Big dump brings Level 4 snow conditions

Rob Kuhn, meteorologist with Environment Canada, described London Ontario’s present weather conditions in a very colourful (?) manner when he said, “This is the biggest dump in London since 2006.” (today’s London Free Press)

Hmmm... is ‘dump’ the best word to use here?

I’m not sure, but the notion of the “biggest dump” inspired me to use a large dump truck as one way to keep track of the amount of snow falling on our fair city this winter. A hollow stump filled with twisty branches will also help.


["My current weather station": photos GH]

(That’s right. When it comes to tracking London’s weather, I spare no expense).


The yellow Caterpillar is 7.5 inches or 19 cm high and was half buried by 2:30 p.m. yesterday and completely buried by 9 p.m.


Today, approximately 20 inches or 50 cm of snow has accumulated.

As one can clearly see, we’re experiencing Level 4 conditions here.

By way of explanation: You’ll need to wear at least 4 protective clothing items outside, such as a winter coat, winter boots, woollen mitts and a colourful toque or toboggan. If winds pick up I may change the forecast to Level 5 conditions, i.e., you’ll need a scarf.


["It's still snowing. We may move to Level 5"]

I’ll provide a more precise snow measurement after I’ve finished my tea and cookies.

However, if the snow covers the top of the twisty branches I’m staying indoors. Maybe you should too.

***

Please click here to see London’s first trace of snow cover.

.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I enjoyed a lovely snow day in the ol' homestead today. Luckily we got our tree on Sat. and set it up on Sun. before the big dump. I don't think I'd be able to find it now as the snow is near the top of our fence. Another snow day tomorrow?? Unlikely, but then ONE is unlikely. The last one was 4 years ago!

G. Harrison said...

hi jinks,

as I recall, nothing felt better than a snow day. now, w retirement, everyday is a snow day!! yeah!!

just got finished shovelling for the second time. our Honda, w 18 inches of snow cover, looks like a tank.

2 snow days in a row - wouldn't that be loverly. i may spend the morning at The Roaster.

cheers