Saturday, December 4, 2010

Made in Canada: Can we still make dish soap?

I’m sure most people in Canada squirt some type of dish soap into a pan when washing dishes.

My wife and I use Dawn. I don’t know why. Likely because of the price.

(You want me to ask? Okay, I will.)

We usually buy Palmolive. But we’re trying Dawn because it’s a good price, it can get stains out of clothing, my daughter-in-law said so, it feels good on the hands, yada-yada-yada.


["It dawned on me to ask, where is it made?": photos GH]

“Because it’s made locally or in Canada,” is not part of the reason.

That may be because we don’t think about where anything is made anymore. When we start to run low on something we add it to a grocery list and get more. Whether a product is “Made in Canada” or not is is likely never on many minds.

Under the list of ingredients for Dawn detergent I read:


["Surely we can still find Yellow 5 in Canada"]

“Imported for Proctor and Gamble Inc., Toronto, Ont.”

What’s that mean?

Is it shipped to Toronto from somewhere outside of Canada and then to Deforest City?

Has the list of ingredients been lost?

Has Canada run out of dimethylamine oxide or methylisithiazolinone or red 33?

Can we not get more chemicals?

Are we exporting soap-producing jobs for any good reason?

Is our carbon footprint larger than necessary?

I’ll contact www.dawn-dish.ca to find out.

It will be a sad day in London - once home to a soap manufacturer - if our soap and detergents are coming from a long way off.

***

I bought a great looking used belt and pair of blue jeans in London recently.

Both items were Made in Canada.

Is anything else Made in Canada?

.

3 comments:

callmemit said...

I have many Google Alerts set up for my in-box - Made in Canada is one of them. I love the randomness of the list they send me - like your blog. There is a website called buycandianfirst.ca - co-founded by Isabelle Remy of Montreal. I have no commercial interest in her business but I do support her when I can. Under the NAFTA rules - governments can not promote a made in Canada policy - So she does this on her own. Manufacturers and distributors of Canadian made goods advertise on her site and she provides links and blogs - You may find this of interest. As an aside - Mr Harper came out with new labelling guidelines for using "Made In Canada" on a product - Seems he took exception to the fact that many of our packagers of products that provide consumer quantities like Orange Juice and Coffee were flaunting the use of Canada as a marketing tool. The repercussions have been that there is no longer a marketing advantage for US based packagers of Orange Juice etc. to maintain an operation here so we close the profitable canning and packaging plants because it is too hard to keep to the new rules - even if you package seasonal goods and keep the factory going with imported goods when you can't get fresh. This has cost us jobs and farmers have moved away from fresh fruits to cash cropping at our peril. Sad really.

callmemit said...

P.S. - S.C. Johnson in Brantford still makes dish soap here.

G. Harrison said...

Thank you, mit.

I will link to buycanadianfirst.ca, and also see what kind of dish soap Johnson makes in Brantford. Then I'll do something really brave - I'll see if my wife is interested in switching brands.

This could be my last post!

Cheers,

GH