Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bird Watching: "Are those squirrels back in action?"

Several times per day, no matter what I’m doing (even if it’s really, really important stuff - like writing vignettes), I’ll take a wee break and check out my bird feeders.

A few moments ago I noticed that the snow atop bother feeders was disturbed.


“Those darn squirrels are jumping out of the trees again,” I said aloud. “Where’s my shotgun?”


["Trouble at the feeders, I think": photos GH]

[Author’s note: I don’t own a shotgun. In serious situations like this, however, I sure wish I had one. A 16-gauge would be nice!]

I reached for my camera and went out back to study the damage and look for tracks.


Well, the only tracks I found belonged to small birds. They must land atop the feeders once in awhile. Makes sense to me.


There were no squirrels tracks on the ground, as well.


["Nothing was amiss - this time!"]

Though I’d besmerched the name of squirrels everywhere and appreciated the break from writing vignettes, I didn’t apologize.

***

More about flying squirrels at my feeder here.

.

No comments: