Sunday, January 23, 2011

May the road always rise up to meet you, my friend

A friend and former neighbour, of British descent, passed away recently.

Over a year ago, at the end of his last visit to my workshop, he left behind a gently used bottle of Red Breast Irish whisky and - as usual - kind words about our time together.

In lieu of a last wee dram with him, I share these words.

An Old Irish Blessing

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.


And would the Englishman wish to share this Irish prose in return?

Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there... I do not sleep.
I am the thousand winds that blow...
I am the diamond glints on snow...
I am the sunlight on ripened grain...
I am the gentle autumn rain.


When you waken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of gentle birds in circling flight...
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry—
I am not there... I did not die...


***

I think he might.

.

No comments: