Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Morning Vignettes PT 1 at The Little Red Roaster

I slept like a rock last night (maybe had something to do with my 40 mile ride on the exercise bike while reading ‘song for the blue ocean’ before going to bed) and woke up bleary eyed.

As I washed the blear out of my eyes my wife asked if I wanted to go the The Roaster for coffee.

“Sure,” I croaked.

The morning air must have been extra crispy because by the time we reached the coffee shop I felt somewhat alive, even energetic.

I heard two men with familiar faces talking about not having small bills to break a twenty as I squeezed into a nearby chair.

I reached for my wallet and said, “I think I can help.”

I pulled out two old fivers and a brand new ten dollar bill.

As I initiated the trade I said, “The ten just came off the clothesline this morning.”


["Thanksh for the coffee, Babe."]

One smiled, took the money, fingered the ten, handed me the twenty and said, “Feels and smells fresh.”

I knew I had a growing audience at the time so replied, “Right out of the laundry room.”

I sat down a satisfied man.

Coffee. My wife paid. Easy human contact. I established an old standard counterfeiting scenario.

And scored perfect timing with the last line as I slipped my behind into a comfy chair.

I shoulda been in movies.

[End of Scene 1.]

***

More ‘fine art’ here.

.

No comments: