Monday, January 3, 2011

The Workshop: Big plans ahead, for sure

2011 will be a busy year.

Now that the Christmas tree is put away, the porch is swept and my recent New Year’s weekend travellin’ days are behind me, I can return to my much-loved routine, i.e., morning coffee with refill, writing posts or columns almost daily, drawing birdhouse designs on scraps of paper, and building things that occasionally resemble what I have in mind.

(Hey, it can happen!)

A few days ago, after I polished off the last dregs of eggnog and wiped my sticky moustache on my sleeve, I came across a photo that friend Terry sent to inspire me - birdhouse-wise.


[“Looks more like a squirrel house to me,” I said.]

Knowing that Terry might buy the first one out of the shop, I set to work producing a few drawings, to get the ‘feel of it’ into my head.

I’m thinking the first model should be about 16 by 16 inches square and about 20 inches high.


["I'll be breathing a lot of paint fumes in January": photos GH]

I think it should be open at the back so that the entire ground floor would act as a bird feeder (not a squirrel feeder) and have 4 apartments on the top floor.


I think I will produce 3 or 4 models (each slightly different) and paint them, e.g., white with red trim for the first.

Yes, 2011 will be a busy year - at least in the shop.

***

More workshop projects can be seen here.

.

No comments: