Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Workshop: This one is going to cost you a fortune

Some people say, “So, Mr. Harrison, how do you figure out how much to charge for one of your big birdhouses?”

Well, all I can say is, I’m so glad people ask. It makes me think.

There are a lot of things to consider. Such as...

(And this is where I have to get creative to justify the big bucks).

I rescued the lumber personally from a pile of scrap in my own back yard. Sweat equity is worth something.


[“Three coats of paint. That’s big bucks right there!”]

The lumber came from Wiarton, my contractor drove it here to use on our house reno, so I likely paid for his gas when he handed me his final bill. I charge for gas.

Then there’s all my work, the measuring and cutting and sanding and assembling and painting and vacuuming the shop and the cost of the hydro. And hydro has gone up. Way up.

And I’m not anywhere near done yet. Then there’s the fussing with door, window and building trim. More measuring, cutting, sanding, painting and assembling.


Then there’s the signage.


[“The signage is fussy stuff. Not cheap!”: photos GH]

Good grief. I’m up to $8,000!

And I haven’t even cleaned up the paint room in the basement.

Are you still with me?

***

Last trip to The Workshop mentioned here.

.

No comments: