Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bird Watching: House finch or purple finch or... ?

Before blue jays and a neighbour’s cat scared everything away from three feeders in my yard, I spotted a small bird with a bright red cap.


I believe it was travelling with a mate and am glad it touched down even for a few minutes in my blue spruce and on one feeder close at hand.


As usual, my photos are not the best, but perhaps good enough to help a reader identify the bird.

Is it a house finch? A purple finch? Something else?

About the house finch: “These birds are mainly permanent residents; some eastern birds migrate south. Their breeding habitat is urban and semi-open areas from southern Canada to Mexico.”


(I can hold out hope the pair will stay nearby.)

“House Finches forage on the ground or in vegetation. They primarily eat grains, seeds and berries, being voracious consumers of weed seeds such as nettle and dandelion; included are incidental small insects, such as aphids and plant lice. They are frequent visitors to feeders throughout the year, particularly if stocked with sunflower seeds or Nyjer/thistle seed...”


["I ask you: What bird is this?": photos GH]

(Hey, they should find something to eat in my feeders, and later in my yard, especially when the dandelions take over!)

“House Finches are one of the few birds that are aggressive enough to keep House Sparrows out of their birdhouse and evict them.”

Then, welcome to my yard. Stay as long as you want!

***

Please click here to view more Bird Watching.

.

No comments: