Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Simple Life PT 3: What is this world coming to?

I must confess - I’m a rubber-necker.

I first displayed the R&B gene at the age of five, when our family car caught fire during a Sunday drive.

After being told to hop out of the car and stand at the side of the road I couldn’t contain my excitement as smoke poured from under the hood. My dad must have thought I was such an odd kid. Oh, I was. Next to my wedding day and days my sons were born, it was the most exciting afternoon of my life.

As well, I demonstrated my possession of the gene while returning from Toronto by bus after a grade eight field trip.

My teacher told the class to sit still, and not rubber neck, after he first spotted an accident at the side of the road. I admit, I couldn’t be contained.

I stuck my head out the window and gawked in delight. I gawped until my eyes hurt.

I think because I am a well-practiced rubber-necker and say, “What’s that over there? What’s that over there?” about 300 times per week, I am fascinated by growing U.S. debt.


I mean, the collision up ahead is going to be huge. And I’m on the bus - with a huge window seat.

Others may be lulled into thinking nothing bad will happen in the future. They have a good job and an RRSP and a big-screen TV in the family room. They may even have parents or friends with a 10 year supply of canned goods and bottled water stashed in the basement, and they’re willing to share. So, life is good.

Some may also think the following:

“Compared to most industrialized countries Canada's economy is performing well.”

“Of all the G8 countries, Canada has come closest to returning to pre-recession levels... and we are the only country that is aiming to balance its budget by 2015.”

“Canada has been able to direct most of its government stimulus funds into job-creating infrastructure projects.”
(Feb. 12, London Free Press)

My opinion? They may be forgetting a few things in order to simply maintain a rosy view on life.


["How you doin'?" "I don't know. How you doin'?": photo link]

What some Canadians may forget is that besides sharing one of the longest borders in the world with the USA, along with fresh water from the Great Lakes and most of our oil production out west, we also share a country-wide economy like two horses share one stall. Also, some forget several provinces are 60 - 80 per cent dependent upon the US growth and stability for sound health in their individual economies.

Of course, a rosy view is always appreciated. But I’m a rubber-necker and I think my neck is about to get a workout.

***

Raise your hand if you’re a rubber-necker?

Please click here to read The Simple Life PT 2: What is this world coming to?

.

No comments: