Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Zoom w a View: Drat! The swimmin’ hole froze over

I forget where I read this: “Don’t forget to water your birds.” (Or something like that).

(Might have been at Mark’s website, 99 Birdhouses)


With that in mind I put out a plastic tray of water before noon today.


By 4 p.m. it was partially frozen. Not much help, I’m afraid.

Electrically heated bird baths are available but my wallet is a tad light, at the moment.


(Def’n: tad, adj. - where did it all go? I just went to the bank on Monday!)


Okay, I’m retired, so I’ll just change the water two or three times per day.


I’m on it, right after I call Saskatoon.

***

Please click here for more Zoom w a View.

.

2 comments:

Jess said...

My mother always used to put a tea-light underneath to keep the water from freezing.

But I don't think Holland gets this cold .......

GHarrison said...

Hi Jess,

The tea-light would work inside a lantern of sorts, which have around here somewhere. However, I have two rubber heating straps used for beer-making which should work really well if I can find a proper shallow pan. Off I go to the basement!

Cheers