Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Live Small: Decluttering update

I’m not a professional declutterer.

I think I’d make a good one (I can say with authentic surprise, “Come on, buddy. Ask yourself. What good is an Acker Bilk record album anyway?”) and I know where people can get one free, empty cardboard box every two weeks without fail.

However, I’ve only been decluttering for three weeks and I don’t even have the habit (to declutter) coming naturally to me yet. I walked right past Box Number Two this morning and didn’t give it a thought - until I put away my laundry.

I don’t need six white towels, I thought. One went into the box. It’s half full. Right on schedule.

That move reminded me of a nice blue vest I’d set aside for the box. I bought vests of every colour when still a teacher. I retired 9 years ago. Guess how many times I’ve worn a vest since then. Once.


["Old vests could fill this box": photo GH]

I could take a half-dozen books out of the box and fill it with vests alone. But because I plan to rid the house of one boxful of stuff every two weeks in 2011, I’ll save them for future trips to the second-hand store.

I’m on a mission. I think by June the habit of decluttering will be formed. Then I'll get my papers and hang out a shingle. (I'm pretty sure I have a shingle in the basement behind my old golf bag).

More updates will follow.

***

Please click here to read more about decluttering.

.

No comments: