Monday, April 11, 2011

Live Small PT 1: Time (again) to declutter

Good grief.

It’s time to declutter.

Time to turn on some tunes and sort out my room.

Actually, every shelf, table surface, cardboard box and mystery pile in the house needs close examination.

Do I need to own so much stuff?

Someone wise once said, “The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago.”

So true. However, about the tree, I got distracted. And though I now think I should have started to declutter 40 years ago, I didn't.

Forty years ago my wife and I met, married and began to accumulate the flotsam and jetsam of everyday life. And because we didn’t follow any important rules related to decluttering in the early, middle or later years of marriage, I’m afraid to say... THINGS have kinda gotten outta hand around here!


["What is this stuff? Do I need it all?": photo GH]

First thing I’ve got to do is tell myself to relax. An eight inch deep pile of paper (it could be laundry) on my dresser is a bit much but Rome wasn’t built in a day. If it took 40 years to accumulate mountains of stuff, it will likely take a good deal of time to tidy up and lighten the load.

Maybe the decluttering will take the rest of my life. I’m okay with that, as long as I see weekly progress.

Now, professional cleaners and organizers likely follow some sort of rules or policies or procedures. For example, the pros might say, clean up one room at a time, have lots of cardboard boxes handy, sort things into ‘keep it’ or ‘toss it’ or ‘identify it, then give it back to the rightful owner’ piles. And some of that makes sense.

So, I’m going to start with my study. And because my time is valuable, I’m going to try to make some money out of the decluttering process.

For example, I just found a pair of jeans I’ll never fit into again. They might fetch 5 bucks.

More decluttering news to follow.

***


Please click here to read “Pssst. Wanna Buy a watch?”

.

No comments: