Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Series of Significance: Time (again) to declutter

[The following posts were originally posted separately over the course of two weeks. They appear together below for your convenience. And I’m still decluttering. Will be for 40 more years, I’d say. gah]

Live Small PT 1: Time (again) to declutter

Good grief.

It’s time to declutter.

Time to turn on some tunes and dust my room.

Actually, every shelf, table surface, cardboard box and mystery pile in the house needs a workout.

Otherwise, I might pull out what’s left of my hair.

Someone wise once said, “The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago.”

So true. However, about the tree, I got distracted. And though I now think I should have started to declutter 40 years ago, I didn't.

Forty years ago my wife and I met, married and began to accumulate the flotsam and jetsam of everyday life. And because we didn’t follow any important rules related to decluttering in the early, middle or later years of marriage, I’m afraid to say... THINGS have kinda gotten outta hand around here!

First thing I’ve got to do is tell myself to relax. Three inches of dust (it could be laundry) on my dresser is a bit much but Rome wasn’t built in a day. If it took 40 years to accumulate mountains of stuff and dust, it will likely take a good deal of time to tidy up and lighten the load.

Maybe the dusting and decluttering will take the rest of my life. I’m okay with that, as long as I see weekly progress.


["Box Number 1 is ready for the door!":photos GH]

Now, professional cleaners and organizers likely follow some sort of rules or policies or procedures. For example, the pros might say, clean up one room at a time, have lots of cardboard boxes handy, sort things into ‘keep it’ or ‘toss it’ or ‘identify it, then give it back to the rightful owner’ piles. And some of that makes sense.

So, I’m going to start with my study. And because my time is valuable, I’m going to try to make some money out of the decluttering process.

Is dust worth anything? Anyone? Anyone?

***

I just found a pair of jeans I’ll never fit into again. I might get 5 bucks for these.

More decluttering news to follow.

.

Live Small PT 2: Time (again) to declutter

On Monday I took up a serious challenge - to declutter one room - my study.

I know professional organizers likely follow rules laid down in a thick book of policies and procedures but I just climbed over my laundry hamper, found what I thought was my desk, and went to work.

I made a small dent.

It’s two days later and I realize I should formulate some sort of game plan, with more goals in mind than the two I expressed Monday.

I said then, ‘maybe the decluttering will take the rest of my life. I’m okay with that, as long as I see weekly progress.’

Though my attitude about the work ahead is positive, I should have more goals than the already stated, i.e., ‘I’m going to start with my study. And because my time is valuable, I’m going to try to make some money out of the decluttering process.’

Knowing what I’m like, I need to set goals that suit my character and are within my limits. The whole house decluttered in one week, one month - forget it. I like to motorcycle in the summer, play hockey once per week, write every day if possible, hit the workshop several days per week (birdhouses don’t make themselves, you know), exercise, eat, cook meals, watch TV, visit with friends at The Roaster... and so much more.

I know. Point to any of the above and you have a reason why the house needs decluttering. You’re right.

But, I think I can add the following goal, develop the ‘declutter bug’ as a habit and move on with my life without a huge weight (of stuff) on my shoulders.

Here’s what I think: I’ll still sell a few items if the process isn’t a huge effort. Otherwise, stuff goes into a box and onto the curb or to Good Will Industries.

I’ll also attempt to rid the house of one full cardboard box of stuff every two weeks, on average, for the remainder of 2011 (20 in total). Twenty doesn’t sound like much, but I’m after the ‘habit of decluttering’ for the long term.


About my study. I have one pile of papers to sort, two shelves on my desk to sort and two clothing racks to look at. I should have my first box ready to go by Friday p.m.

Unless I run into friend Don again before then!

More to follow.

***

Gord’s current ‘Goals for Decluttering’

Start with one room

Keep positive. Rome wasn’t built in a day

Sell a few items only if it’s worth the effort

One full box of stuff leaves the building every two weeks in 2011 (20 for the year; I started late - like 40 years too late!)

Develop the decluttering habit

Don’t meet up with Don until Saturday

.

Live Small PT 3: Time (again) to declutter

[After 40 years of being distracted by stuff, I have started to tidy up the house. I started on Monday, and I’m still at it : ) gah]

If I mention to a person that I’m decluttering a room or shelf or closet, it isn’t long before they tell me they’re up to their knees in stuff too.

I say, welcome to North America, home of the brave, beleaguered and bewildered.

What to do with all the stuff that keeps me from seeing my hardwood floors?

Set some goals.

One of mine is as follows:

One full box of stuff leaves the building every two weeks in 2011 (20 for the year; I started late - like 40 years too late!)

Over coffee this week, friend Don told me he was tidying up too. He had his own guidelines, developed as he went from room to room.

“Ask yourself,” he said, “what use is an Acker Bilk record? Especially if it has been sitting in your basement for 20 years and you don’t listen to records anymore?”

I thought that was as a good question to pass along.

He continued: “Don’t get too sentimental. Do I need my father’s old metal lunchpail? No. I know what one looks like. It’s gone.”


["Note to self - Stay away from Don's stuff"]

My wife said she would have kept it. She has hung onto a few things that once belonged to her own father.

Me? I sold a metal lunchpail at a yard sale last year. But it was my own, so I don’t miss it. Had it been my dad’s the story might have ended differently. I have a few things tucked away that were my father’s. I’ll get rid of a lot of other first stuff if a certain shelf in my closet gets too crowded.

Don also asked, “Do I really need a playpen from the 1980s?”

That one was easy to answer. It’s gone.

“How long should I hang onto freeze dried food?” he asked. “I’ve kept it for 11 years so far, in case I ever go camping again.”

I told him to have it for supper.

Don then mentioned a special lesson he learned about hanging onto stuff for the sake of the kids. He had kept a tricycle in his attic for 40 years and when he got it down and showed it to his son he received a memorable response.

“Would you like your old tricycle?” Don asked his son.

“Why?” said Brian, now an adult.

It was good that Don asked. It puts a few (or many, depending on the size of your attic or basement) things in perspective, doesn’t it?

Yesterday I wrote something about my own goal to clean out my study: “I have one pile of papers to sort, two shelves on my desk to sort and two clothing racks to look at. I should have my first box ready to go by Friday p.m.”

Then I said, “Unless I run into friend Don again before then!”

See, after speaking with Don over coffee, we walked together to his car and looked at the stuff he was taking to the Good Will.

I suffered a setback.

I ended up taking a shirt and three old LPs. Not Acker Bilk, but three I didn’t really need nonetheless. I’m a sucker for old rugby shirts and albums with interesting artwork.

So, where am I at today?

I sorted out the two shelves on my desk, tossed a few items and will have a full cardboard box of stuff ‘to go’ by Friday, including more than 3 albums.

***

Gord’s current ‘Goals for Decluttering’

I’ll start with one room

I’ll keep positive. Rome wasn’t built in a day

I’ll sell a few items only if it’s worth the effort

I will remove one full box of stuff from the building every two weeks in 2011 (20 for the year; I started late - like 40 years too late!)

I will develop the decluttering habit

I’ll ask myself, what use is an Acker Bilk record?

I’ll try not to get too sentimental

I’ll ask my sons to help if they might benefit from the experience

I won’t look in Don’s trunk again


["I took a picture of this LP then gave it away."]

.

Live Small: PT 4: Time (again) to declutter

[Today’s big financial numbers: 40% - The number of Canadians who trash more than $400 of unwanted household items instead of selling them in their annual spring clearouts, according to a survey by Kijiji. April 14, London Free Press]

While I declutter one room at a time, I hope to earn a little money from the sale of my stunning trash. Most will go out to the curb or to Good Will Industries, but some will be lovingly photographed and posted on London Kijiji.

I have a pair of jeans, almost new, that I planned to sell. But I tried them on this morning. Good grief. They fit again. My ‘fun and fitness routine’ must be working. I wearing them now and will consider selling them again in the future.

This morning I found one of the last pairs of ‘school pants’ hiding at the back of the closet and... they’re in the ‘out’ box. But not for sale. Who would want to wear an old pair of an old school teacher’s pants? Ha! Not me.

However, I think I’ll try to get a few bucks for 3 LPs, hat pins and a Bob Dylan scrapbook.

Five bucks.

Anyone? Anyone?

.

I Ask You: "Have you ever seen this LP album?"

I’m in the process of decluttering the house, one room at a time.

But I suffered a setback the other day. I brought someone else’s stuff home. I took it right out of his trunk. Three LPs. One rugby shirt. That’s no way to reduce the amount of gear in a house. I know.

However, one album just had to be photographed before it goes back out the door.


I ask you: Have you ever seen this album? Do you own it? How much would you pay for another one?!

In my opinion, it’s very funny on a few levels, but... now that I’ve taken the picture, it’s out the door, baby.

.

Live Small PT 5: Time (again) to declutter

Here’s where I left off related to decluttering:

“Who would want to wear an old pair of an old school teacher’s pants?” I asked.

“Ha! Not me,” I said - quite truthfully.

Then I added, “However, I think I’ll try to get a few bucks for 3 LPs, hat pins and a Bob Dylan scrapbook. Five bucks.”

In other words then, the pants are gone, along with three shirts and a vest I haven’t worn much if at all in the last 10 years. And I’ll put up an ad on Kijiji London to see if anyone wants to pay big bucks for a few LPs and a Bob Dylan scrapbook. (“We all gotsta pay the freight, Bob.”)

As you can see in the photo, I have one full box of STUFF beside my study door. One room done, several more to go. One full box out (ahead of schedule). And another empty box is needed.


["The house feels 10 pounds lighter!":photos GH]

That’s where Earl comes in. Earl works for the LCBO or liquor store at York and Ridout. He’s the guy I see for empty boxes. And Guinness.

Someone may well ask, “Do you have the habit of decluttering yet?”

No. It will take time. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

“Will you reach your goal of filling 20 boxes with STUFF by the end of 2011?” another may ask.

Well, if I can get into the decluttering habit, and fill one box every two weeks for the next four or five weeks, then yes.

And I’ll be able to see the floor in the basement!

.

Live Small: Decluttering update

I’m not a professional declutterer.

I think I’d make a good one (I can say with authentic surprise, “Come on, buddy. Ask yourself. What good is an Acker Bulk record album?”) and I know where people can get one free, empty cardboard box every two weeks without fail.

However, I’ve only been decluttering for three weeks and I don’t even have the habit (to declutter) coming naturally to me yet. I walked right past Box Number Two this morning and didn’t give it a thought - until I put away my laundry.

I don’t need six white towels, I thought. One went into the box. It’s half full. Right on schedule.

That move reminded me of a nice blue vest I’d set aside for the Good Will box. I bought vests of every colour when still a teacher. I retired 9 years ago. Guess how many times I’ve worn a vest since then. Once.


I could take a half-dozen books out of the box and fill it with vests alone. But because I plan to rid the house of one boxful of stuff every two weeks in 2011 I’ll save them for future trips to the second-hand store.

I’m on a mission. I think by June the habit of decluttering will be formed.

More updates will follow.

.

No comments: