Monday, May 16, 2011

Austerity Without Anxiety: New duckies - almost

People with a frugal streak will be proud of me. My old duckies recently sprung a leak and I tried to cover the holes with duct tape.

To no avail, unfortunately. After 10 years of wear the rubber was cracked and weak and didn’t offer up a surface capable of repair. Stink. They were starting to get comfortable.




["The socks ran Boston in 2005. Now they'll walk to the coffee shop": photos GH]


But I resisted the temptation to buy new ones. I have old rubber boots that haven’t seen much service over the years - because of the rubber duckies - and not only have they passed muster during this week’s wet weather but I look pretty darn stylish when I wear the shortened rubber boots with my proud Canadian Ironman socks.

Rain is in the forecast everyday this week. I’ll wear shorts, cutoff boots and Ironman socks to the local coffee shop a few times and show them off. I bet they'll last for 10 years.

My wife and siblings will likely say I’m turning into my dad. I don’t mind. Why worry? His wallet was always full of paper money. More than coffee money too.

BTW. How much did I save by not buying new high-end duckies? (Ten years ago I think I paid over $70.)

***

Please click here for more Austerity Without Anxiety.

.

No comments: