Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dad’s Navy Days: PT 4 - A door opens at the King’s Arms Hotel

Last week I wrote to the proprietors of the King’s Arms Hotel in Irvine, Scotland to see if anyone there could shed light on year-old questions of mine.

I asked, do you know if any members of the Skinner family remain in the local area? (A big thank you is in order to those who provided aid to my father in the form of porridge, rum and dry clothes - in 1941, during WWII).

Admittedly, most involved with the story would be in their 80s or 90s, or gone, but any information about those times would be interesting to receive.

A reply from Scotland arrived within the hour.

“Laddie, ye’ve got mail,” said my computer.

The email follows:

Hi. I have spoken to a local news reporter who is interested in the story. John Woods has spoken to columnist May McEwan ( down memory lane ) Irvine Herald. He will try to find out as much info as possible.

Yours Sincerely, John Leo Scott


I thought, very interesting. Scotts still run the hotel, since the 1950s, so information concerning the 1940s might still exist.

Mr. Scott has also connected with news reporter John Woods, the fellow who wrote the article about the King’s Arms three years ago. Brilliant, I said to myself. If he has lived in Irvine for some time, and is the “go to” guy for barmen, he will be a big help.

I also like the news that Mr. Woods has, within one hour of my initial email to Scotland, connected with the columnist who writes ‘Down Memory Lane.’ Stunning, in more ways than one.


["Down Memory Lane. A tag that gets around.": photo GH]

I wrote right back:

Hi John,

Thank you for your quick response. Much appreciated. I was just in the process of writing to John Woods after linking to his 2008 article (King’s Arms family snap up the Harbour Lights). So, perhaps I'm on the right path.

Gord Harrison

FYI my father once wrote a weekly column called Down Memory Lane. 

John wrote right back too:

Hi George, I am working in The Kings Arms as we speak. John Woods was in having a meal with his wife when you emailed. I showed him the email, and he seemed v interested. Thanks, John

I wondered, does John think I’m George Harrison?

Another email arrived:

Hi George, Just found out the Harbour Lights was formerly known as The Victoria. Cheers, John

Good grief, I thought. I’ve connected with the most energetic barman in Scotland.

Life is grand. With the help of John Scott, John Woods and May McEwan I may soon be in touch with Skinners.

More to follow.

***

Please click here to read PT 3 - A door opens at the King’s Arms Hotel

.

No comments: