Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Birdhouse London: Finished products under the microscope

Three large triplexes are finally finished but as I evaluate - up close and personal - I had a troubling thought.


Though I like the two-tone blue paint, on the main house and outhouses, I like earlier photos better when the houses were unpainted. All that work... I could have left them alone. Or, painted only one of them. But it’s too late now to change anything.


[“The triplex will sit comfortably on a pole, 4 - 5 feet above ground level”: photos GH]

On a brighter note, as far as I’m concerned, the four singles from rescued white cedar (I used cut-offs from a Rietveld chair project) that I finished yesterday seem to look AOK from every angle.


The linseed oil w maple stain shows off the wood grain and the light blue wash on the roof should attract human eyes and not be too distracting to a small bird.


[“I cut 1/8th inch grooves into each face with the table saw, for interest. I may still add trim to serve as a perch.”]

Why, even the backs look interesting now that the support sticks are firmly attached.


All in all, I’ve had a relaxing week in the shop and learned a thing or two along the way.

(Suggestions re style, etc., are always welcome).

***

Please click here for more Birdhouse London.

.

No comments: