Friday, July 15, 2011

Birdhouse London: A sturdy house for a small bird

The measuring and cutting for a set of six houses doesn’t take too long.


E.g., face 7.5 in. W., 13 in. H. Zip.

Base, 6 in. x 6 in. Rip.

Sides, 10 in. H., 7 in. W., roof line cut at 5 degrees, and so on. Zip, rip.


Drilling holes, sanding and final assembly take some time, not tons, but the details slow a person down. E.g., six framed windows, 6 painted metal signs, 6 sets of hinges for the back doors (incl. 6 latches and pulls), six doors and signs and hole dressings on the front. They all take time.


However, now they’re done and a bit of fun can begin. I get to show them off and answer a few questions from the curious child or parent.

“So, what kind of birds will live in one of these?” someone will surely ask.

“English sparrows, finches, chickadees. The occasional swallow,” I’ll say.

“Can I actually get free flyin’ lessons,” a youngster might ask.

I’ll say, “Of course you can. Your parents will arrange everything.”


["Free lessons, no problem.": photos by GH]

“Are these signs meant to be funny?” a young (sometimes old) twirp might ask.

“Yes, but not everybody fully catches on to my sharp wit,” I’ll say.

“Uhh?”

“Exactly.”

Another day in the workshop is about to begin. What’s on the menu this week, I wonder?

***

Please click here for more about birdhouses.

.

No comments: