Monday, July 18, 2011

The Culture of Big: From motorcycle to bicycle by 2013

I’m living proof the culture of big has a tenacious grip on most North Americans.

Though I promote a ‘live small lifestyle’, I own a car, motorcycle, bicycle, rollerblades, ice skates and several pair of shoes. That’s right, I’m into fossil-fueled and muscle-powered transportation in a big way. There’s not a highway of frozen pond in Canada I can’t cruise. Plus, I’m North American (the 25 per cent Scottish variety).


But I feel my motorcycling days are numbered. After one more major solo trip in 2012, I see myself selling the 1100cc Yamaha Virago. In my mind’s eye - already! - I see myself taking mini-vacations in 2013 by bicycle.

Why the shift? There are a variety of reasons, really, and all will be shared here - in laborious detail, accompanied by more faded sepia photos that you can shake a stick at - as the process of change continues.


Some money from the sale of the Virago will go toward a mountain-style or hybrid bike and small pull-along trailer for camping gear. For $400 - 500 (not including the cost of a very healthy supply of water-proof matches) I should be on the road again, enjoying natural surroundings and “fun and fitness” activities all at the same time.

The idea is firmly planted now. And it will come to fruition by spring, 2013.


["The old Raleigh has a much smaller seat than the Virago!": photos GH]

Until then, my 10-speed Raleigh (circa 1965, so I’ve been told) will continue to reinforce the “shift idea” while preparing my hinder parts for a much smaller seat.

Have you ever pulled or packed (on your back or bike) camping gear to a nearby campground?

I’d like to hear about it.

***

Please click here for more about the culture of big.

.

No comments: