Monday, July 18, 2011

Zoom w a View: Bobbin’ along in Port Bruce

I followed my usual routine yesterday for “a terribly hot Sunday.”

I put coffee on early, typed up and delivered my weekly column (and beat the deadline by 5 hours), then organized myself for a bike ride to Lake Erie as a cool reward.

I only need a few minutes to organize a ride. The list of things to do is memorized.




- Warm up bike. Select appropriate ‘middle-aged biker’ T-shirt. Put on jeans, no matter the temperature.

- Throw a towel, swim-shorts, notepad, pen, suntan lotion, water bottle and a few bucks into a backpack.

- Grab my helmet, gloves and cool ten-dollar shades (“As seen on TV. $400 in Hollywood. Only $10 at Canadian Tire”).





[Photos by GH]


Inside 60 minutes I was parked in an island of cool shade. I snapped photos of gulls roosting beside the boat channel. I walked to the gravel beach and noticed that the shoreline disappeared into haze in both directions, east and west.

The sound of waves slapping against the shore helped focus my attention on my ultimate mission.

I was soon bobbin’ along in the water’s restless embrace, like a young kid on a long summer vacation.

***

Please click here for more Zoom w a View.

.

No comments: