Sunday, September 4, 2011

It Strikes Me Funny: Fun with “key search words”

If you write a blog and have some type of site meter collecting information about it behind the scenes, you may learn a bit, as I often do, by reviewing relevant stats.

A moment ago I looked at “key search words,” i.e., the words people type in on Google (for example) that occasionally lure... no, gently lead... readers to my site.

The following are the top five search words for today. Once again I learned a lot. (PS - the numbers are dead accurate : )

bat house plans - 1,000,004

ants - 800,008

average price of barrel oil - 400,032

house of gord walking treadmill - 100,064

how to make a solar oven - 16


Moments ago I said to myself, “I can understand the ‘bat house plans’ because I make a lot of birdhouses and post zillions of pictures on my blog. ‘Ants’, sure, I wrote a piece or two about ants.”

But then I said, “How do people know that I walk on a treadmill in my house?”

I think the answer goes back to the following two images posted here in the deep past.

Photo 1 “I’m showing my grandson my camera; we’re sitting in the house of gord”


Photo 2 “After walking and running 1000s of miles on a treadmill I ran the Boston Marathon”



Okay, I could be wrong.

Any other ideas?

***

Please click here for more It Strikes Me Funny.

.

2 comments:

young-eclectic-encounters said...

I wonder what my key word search would look like- how do you find out what key word to use to draw people to your blog
Johnina :D

G. Harrison said...

Hi Johnina, thanks for your visit and comment. i locate info re key words in two ways.

I have loaded Site Meter at the very bottom of my site and it compiles many stats, including a ranking (per 100 visits) of most popular posts, giving me a clue re what is drawing people to my site. e.g., my post re solar oven is very popular. If I wrote 20 more posts re solar ovens I might become King of the Web.

Another valuable tool comes with my blog service thru www.blogger.com. When I visit its 'dashboard' or administrative page, I see several tabs to consider, e.g., Comments, Stats, etc.

Stats includes info re my audience, including the latest set of 'top ten' search words readers have typed in (on Google for example) that directed them to my site.

According to 'key search words', many people want to know more about 'house of gord'.

cheers.