Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Simple Life: “Coffee beans, hot java, Irish stew”


I like getting up in the morning. Any other time of the day would be too late, and I’d feel like I missed something.

This morning, as soon as my feet hit the floor, my mind turned to a few simple - but very enjoyable - tasks at hand:

pull two pots of Irish stew from the fridge

turn on two slow cookers

and brew a pot of coffee.

Members of my hockey team are visiting my workshop for supper after the game today, thus the Irish stew.

(I suppose it could be called Scottish stew as well. There likely aren’t too many differences between the two kinds, though the Scots would likely throw in a pint of Scottish pale ale instead of the Guinness I used for this latest batch. Sorry, I digress).




["Irish stew will fill the house with its delicious aromas": photos GH]

Ahh, coffee. I love the ritual. Take one or two kinds of beans from the freezer. Grind them in the little electric gadget my son gave me for Christmas many years ago. Put some on to brew.

Then, whilst the kitchen starts to smell and feel like it’s inside the finest home in all the land, grind more beans - enough for a second pot later in the day, maybe some for tomorrow and Friday.

Sure, the economy and global financial scene are in crisis mode and we all may soon have to change our expectations in life - at the very least in the material sense - but, with my two feet firmly planted in a warm kitchen, I now feel ready for another day.

You?

***

The simple life. Live small. Live slow. Add coffee. Not a bad recipe.

Please click here for more about the simple life.

And here too.

.

No comments: