Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Workshop: “Could I have two dozen, please?”

I checked my calendar on Monday and noticed an important date was sneaking up on me:

Lambeth Harvestfest, Sept. 10.

Not an internationally recognized date I know, but underneath the date I’d written ‘birdhouse sale.’ I’m participating in the Fest as a builder and seller of fine birdhouses. (Money earned will go toward a new bicycle and trailer).

So, I next checked my supply and discovered there were more empty cardboard boxes than full ones. My last sale had been a success. I felt I’d better get busy.


Today I face 13 birdhouses in one pile (put together on Mon. p.m. after one other wee job) that need final touches, i.e., custom trim, linseed oil and a bit of paint.


["Sixteen all in a row, ready for the drill press": photos GH]

I face another 16 (started yesterday) that need holes drilled, full assembly and final touches as well (see above).


["Red cedar was rescued from a demolished gate. Lovely lumber."]

When they're all finished I'll feel ready for the Fest and unusual requests, i.e., "I'll take two dozen, please."


A big hockey game starts at 4 p.m. today so I guess I’d better push away from the computer soon and get busy in the shop.

***

It’s a rainy day in London, a perfect time to work inside.

Please click here to view Monday’s other wee job re The Workshop.

.

No comments: