Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Workshop: Old pine birdhouses ‘before’ and ‘after’

Old dresser drawers rescued from the curb in front of my neighbour’s house became birdhouses about two weeks ago.

Photo 1 - The ‘before’


On Thursday and Friday of this week I applied linseed oil (paint thinner and a titch of maple stain were added). Before setting them outside to dry I snapped a few photographs.

Photo 2 - The ‘after’ (with flash)


Photos 3, 4 and 5 - ‘After’, different angles, no flash







[“Oil brings out warm colours from the old pine”: photos GH]

In my opinion, the thinner oil has a few advantages over regular linseed oil.

It covers wood quicker, easier. The smell doesn’t hang in the air as long. The lighter fumes don’t bother my eyes as much.

Will the sheen last as long? Time will tell.

***

Please click here for more from The Workshop.

.

2 comments:

The Witch said...

You have done a beautiful job of recycling road side throw a ways.
The linseed oil really does enhance the colour.
The birds thank you for a beautiful new home.

G. Harrison said...

Thank you to The Witch for the visit and positive comment.

(And yes, that's the first time I've ever said 'thank you' and 'witch' in the same sentence. I hope it's not the last).

Because I'm running low on rescued lumber I am considering the purchase of red cedar for this week's projects in the workshop. More new homes are needed.

However, I'll check out the curbs in the neighbourhood before I head to the lumber store. More news later.

Cheers,

GH